Federal Government Cover Letter FAQs
Now that you understand how to write a federal government cover letter, it’s time to answer some questions about federal resumes and applying for federal jobs.
1. What is a Federal Resume?
A federal resume is a resume that you create to apply for a job with the US federal government. Unlike a private-sector resume, your federal resume must include the following:
- A personal information section that features your full name, contact information, your citizenship status, and your veteran preference (if applicable).
- A work experience section that details your relevant job experience and accomplishments.
- An education section that features degrees from accredited schools or programs.
You may also include a summary statement and a skills section, though it is not required.
2. How Many Pages is a Federal Resume?
According to the Federal Resume Guide, your federal resume can be up to three pages long. This is different from a resume you’d write for the private or non-profit sector, which is often one page.
Just remember that longer resumes are not always better. Do your best to remove irrelevant or redundant experiences from your federal resume.
3. How do I Apply for a Federal Job?
- First, ensure that you meet all of the minimum requirements.
- Next, create a federal resume that proves that you meet these requirements. Use the language of the job description to describe your experience. Therefore, if the job description states that it seeks someone with “writing and editing” experience, don’t claim that you “create content and manage revisions.”
- After you complete your resume, you may be asked to submit more material. Read the instructions carefully and do what the agency requires.
- Finally, save and submit your applications materials. Hold on to these documents because you may need them for a future interview.
More Sample Cover Letters
- Federal Government Cover Letter
- Film Cover Letter
- Film Director Cover Letter
- Financial Controller Cover Letter
- First Year Teacher Cover Letter
- Fitness Cover Letter
- Food And Beverage Cover Letter
- Food Service Cover Letter
- Forklift Driver Cover Letter
- Freelance Graphic Designer Cover Letter
- Freelance Web Designer Cover Letter
- Freelance Writer Cover Letter
- Front Desk Cover Letter
- GIS Cover Letter
- General Contractor Cover Letter